PHI-105 Topic 1 Persuasive Essay Topic and Audience Worksheet Assignment
Review the document titled “Persuasive Essay Guidelines.”
Complete the Persuasive Essay: Topic and Audience Worksheet.
You will receive feedback on your assignment from your instructor by the start of Topic 2.
Click here to Find all Assignments for PHI-105 Course Didn’t find your answers? Don’t worry we are here to help you! Ask Questions
Persuasive Essay: Topic and Audience Worksheet
If you did not take UNV 104 or if you would like to review the writing concepts introduced in UNV 104, it is suggested that you view the media piece entitled, “The Writing Process,” which is available to support the development of your writing skills. Access “The Writing Process” in the Course Materials. For this Topic, focus on the “Planning and Getting Started?” section of the media piece.
Part 1: Select a Topic
Choose a topic for your persuasive essay from the list below. If you would like to write about a topic that is not on the list, please list it below within your answer to the first question to request approval.
- Stem cell research
- Prisoner reform/ Prison System Reform
- Internet Censorship
- Compensation for College Athletes
- Net Neutrality
- Universal Healthcare
- Genetically modified food
- Charter schools
- Nuclear Energy
- Renewable Energy
- Educational Reform
- Minimum Wage Laws
- Universal Basic Income
- Mandatory military service/Selective Service
- What is the topic you have chosen for your persuasive essay?
- Begin thinking about the different issues associated with the topic you have selected, narrow your focus, and take a pro or con position for the subject of your essay. Present a simple statement of your position here. Example statement: Personal use of social media is not appropriate in the workplace.
- Give rationale for that stance. (50-100 words. Avoid using emotional reasoning and focus on facts and evidence to help support you rationale)?
Section II: Identify your Audience
Review the media piece before beginning this section: http://lc.gcumedia.com/phi105/persuasive-writing-website/persuasive-writing-website-v1.1.html
Answer the following questions regarding the audience for your essay in complete sentences.
- Who is the ideal audience for this persuasive essay, and why? Please avoid naming your instructor, classmates, family, friends, and coworkers.
- What is the appropriate way to address this audience (professional, familial, friendly)? Why?
- What about your topic is important to your audience? What about your topic is not important to your audience?
Course: PHI-105 21st Century Skills: Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
School: Grand Canyon University