Locating and Integrating State Laws and Ethical Codes
- Locating and Integrating State Laws and Ethical Codes Scoring Guide.
- APA Style and Format.
- How Do I Find Peer Reviewed Articles?
- Locating and Integrating State Laws and Ethical Codes | Transcript.
- Unit 3 Paper Template.
By now, you should have located several current sets of ethical standards used by various counseling professionals. For this assignment, reference the ACA Code of Ethics as well as any other ethical codes from professional organizations specific to your program (that is, ASCA’s 2015 Ethical Standards for School Counselors, AMHCA’s 2010 Principles of AMHCA Code of Ethics, NBCC’s 2012 Code of Ethics, NAADAC’s 2011 Code of Ethics). This assignment has three (3) parts.
Research two ethical codes that are relevant to your specialization. Identify at least two specific standards in each of the codes that address ethical issues that you did not consider prior to researching the code. Explain why the standards stand out as important for counselors in your specialization. The description of the standards should be written in your own words in third person, paraphrasing the information you have located; do not use any direct quotes from the materials. Address how you will remain abreast of changes as the ethical codes are updated.
Document the location of the laws regulating the practice of counseling in your state. These will be the regulations that outline the requirements for becoming licensed/certified in the state, as well as the laws pertinent to the practice of counseling (such as requirements for continuing education, mandated reporting laws, and so on).
Do not use Counselor-License.com. The laws regulating the practice of counseling in your state can be found on your state counseling board website, or through your state counseling association. School counselors should check with the state board of education. There are also helpful resources found on the Capella Licensure Tool on iGuide.
- In your own words: Describe where you found these laws and include the link to the Web site.
- How are notices about new laws and regulations in your state made available to practicing counselors? For example, some states allow counselors to sign up for email notices of new legislation; or it is published in the state counseling journals/newsletters. Do some research to find out how this information is provided in your own state and provide a brief description of how you will stay informed about new laws and pending legislation made available to counselors in your state. Include the full references to publications or links to Web sites where this information is provided.
Use the presentation Locating and Integrating State Laws and Ethical Codes in this unit’s study (located in the assignment resources) to apply your knowledge of laws and ethical codes to particular issues:
Select three (3) issues from the presentation that may arise in the type of setting in which you will be working and for each selected issue, complete the following:
- Determine whether your response to the situation would be guided by an ethical standard, a state law, or both, for each issue.
- Identify at least 2 specific state laws and 2 specific ethical standards that are relevant to each issue. In other words, list the code number for the applicable laws and the ethical standards. For example, if the case involves supervision of a counselor, I might reference the Ohio Revised Code (ORC) 4757-17-01 “Counseling supervision”, and the ACA (2014) code F.2.a. “Supervisor Preparation”.
- Write a description of why these laws/standards are applicable in this case, considering how the specific laws and codes inform responsible counseling practice.
- What are the specific decisions, actions, and/or steps you would take in order to behave in a legal, ethical, and professional manner?
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Develop accurate written communication and thoughts that convey the overall goals of the assignment and do not detract from the overall message. Your paper should demonstrate graduate-level writing skills.
- References: Your reference list must include:
- The 2014 ACA Code of Ethics and another relevant set of standards (ASCA, AMHCA, etc.) .
- An APA-formatted link to your state’s rules and laws.
- Distinguished submissions will likely exceed this minimum requirement.
You must use APA sixth edition style to format your references. Refer to the iGuide page APA Style and Format for more information.
- Number of pages: The length of your paper should be 4-5 double-spaced pages. Note: Page count does not include cover page or references.
- Formatting: Use 12-pt, Times New Roman font; MS Word documents only.
Use APA sixth edition formatting, including correct in-text citations, proper punctuation, double-spacing throughout, proper headings and subheadings, no skipped lines before headings and subheadings, proper paragraph and block indentation, no bolding, and no bullets. Refer to the iGuide page APA Style and Format for more information.
Course: COUN5217 Ethical and Legal Issues in Professional Counseling
School: Capella University
Word Limit: Minimum 1200 words with references.
- : 06/02/2017
- : 25