COM-362 Topic 4 Reading Exercises Assignment
Complete the exercises in the attached document, “Reading Exercises.” These exercises are also in the textbook, refer to your text should you have questions or need further examples.
Click here to Find all Assignments for COM-362 Course Didn’t find your answers? Don’t worry we are here to help you! Ask Questions
Topic 4 Reading Exercises from:
Copi, Irving M. Introduction to Logic, 14th Edition. Routledge.
Identify the subject and predicate terms in, and name the form of, each of the following propositions:
- Some historians are extremely gifted writers whose works read like first-rate novels.
- No athletes who have ever accepted pay for participating in sports are amateurs.
- No dogs that are without pedigrees are candidates for blue ribbons in official dog shows sponsored by the American Kennel Club.
- All satellites that are currently in orbit less than ten thousand miles high are very delicate devices that cost many thousands of dollars to manufacture.
- Some members of families that are rich and famous are not persons of either wealth or distinction.
- Some paintings produced by artists who are universally recognized as masters are not works of genuine merit that either are or deserve to be preserved in museums and made available to the public.
- All drivers of automobiles that are not safe are desperadoes who threaten the lives of their fellows.
- Some politicians who could not be elected to the most minor positions are appointed officials in our government today.
- Some drugs that are very effective when properly administered are not safe remedies that all medicine cabinets should contain.
- No people who have not themselves done creative work in the arts are responsible critics on whose judgment we can rely.
Name the quality and quantity of each of the following propositions, and state whether their subject and predicate terms are distributed or undistributed:
- Some presidential candidates will be sadly disappointed people.
- All those who died in Nazi concentration camps were victims of a cruel and irrational tyranny.
- Some recently identified unstable elements were not entirely accidental discoveries.
- Some members of the military-industrial complex are mild-mannered people to whom violence is abhorrent.
- No leader of the feminist movement is a major business executive.
- All hard-line advocates of law and order at any cost are people who will be remembered, if at all, only for having failed to understand the major social pressures of the twenty-first century.
- Some recent rulings of the Supreme Court were politically motivated decisions that flouted the entire history of U.S. legal practice.
- No harmful pesticides or chemical defoliants were genuine contributions to the long-range agricultural goals of the nation.
- Some advocates of major political, social, and economic reforms are not responsible people who have a stake in maintaining the status quo.
- All new labor-saving devices are major threats to the trade union movement.
5.5 INSTRUCTIONS & PROBLEM
- A. If we assume that the first proposition in each of the following sets is true, what can we affirm about the truth or falsehood of the remaining propositions in each set?
- if we assume that the first proposition in each set is false, what can we affirm?
- All successful executives are intelligent people.
- No successful executives are intelligent people.
- Some successful executives are intelligent people.
- Some successful executives are not intelligent people.
- No animals with horns are carnivores.
- Some animals with horns are carnivores.
- Some animals with horns are not carnivores.
- All animals with horns are carnivores.
- Some uranium isotopes are highly unstable substances.
- Some uranium isotopes are not highly unstable substances.
- All uranium isotopes are highly unstable substances.
- No uranium isotopes are highly unstable substances.
- Some college professors are not entertaining lecturers.
- All college professors are entertaining lecturers.
- No college professors are entertaining lecturers.
- Some college professors are entertaining lecturers.
Course: COM-362 Argumentation and Advocacy
School: Grand Canyon University
- : 03/05/2020
- : 100