BIO-220 Week 1 Online Scavenger Hunt for Success Individual Assignment
Complete the “Online Scavenger Hunt for Success Resource.”
GCU style is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
You are not required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite.
Click here to Find all Assignments for BIO-220 Course Didn’t find your answers? Don’t worry we are here to help you! Ask Questions
Online Scavenger Hunt for Success
The basics (each question worth 5 point) 20 pts total
- From the first section in the book what are 5 environmental concerns you will learn about in this class? What is one thing hope to learn about this topic?
- Every field is impacted by the environment, be it being the source or a product, source of a service, a concern to meet an environmental regulation…. How do you feel learning about the environment will impact your future career? (minimum of 50 words)
- Everything is made from chemicals. In blogs or news articles, you might hear about chemicals being a concern, but this is too vague. For example you can say water is a problem because it is a chemical, but this is still not saying why. Find an example of a chemical you want to learn about.
- What is this chemical made from?
- How can it be helpful?
- What it is likely to pollute (air, water, or land)?
- How can the problem be lessened?
- Provide a full reference for your authoritative source you used to answer this question
- Ozone is a complex chemical. In the1980’s a big concern was the hole in the ozone. What is the current status of the ozone hole? Now, you might hear more about ozone warning while driving. What causes this and why is it is problem? What references did you use to answer this
Completing Research (5 points each- 3 for correct example, 2 for reason) 20 pts total
In science a research paper needs to have authoritative sources and all facts need to be cited. This does not mean you want to have lots of quotes, but instead paraphrase your material and cite the source
Many times if it tempting to use popular media as a source. However, this means it could be biased.
Go to: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/
- Find one source that could be considered Left biased and explain why (minimum of 20 words).
- Find one source that could be considered right biased and explain why (minimum of 20 words).
- Find a source that is considered conspiracy-pseudoscience and explain why with an example of pseudoscience (minimum of 20 words).
- Find a pro-science source that might be ok for a research paper to get more current information then a peer reviewed source. (minimum of 20 words)
Citing and referencing help (each topic 10 pts) 30pts total
- Using a sources from the library find an article to help you write about 3 of the following topics: endangered species, environmental toxin, farming, sustainable building materials, or water pollution to answering the following questions:
- Why would you use this article? (3 pts)
- Create a full reference for this source (2 pts)
- Paraphrase a fact from this source and insert an in text citation (2pts)
- Find a quote Create an intext citation (2pts)
Course: BIO-220 Environmental Science
School: Grand Canyon University
- : 02/09/2018
- : 75