What is the difference between a job and a career? You can think of a job as a way to achieve a specific goal: pay the rent, buy a car, purchase food, etc. A career on the other hand consist of holding jobs, but it is also the path for achieving a sense of personal and professional accomplishment and fulfillment. When you begin focusing on career development, “your jobs follow a sequence that leads to increasing mastery, professional development, and personal and financial satisfaction” (Success in College. Authored by: anonymous)
The shift from job searching to career development is a process that needs to start now. You will use all the skills we have covered and those that we will cover in the remainder of the course to create a career path that will be satisfying, challenging, and ever-evolving.
The purpose of this project is for you to begin visualizing where you see yourself in a career and identify the different professions associated with that chosen career.
Below are the steps that will help you get there:
- Identify job/internship opportunities in your area of interest.
- Research companies to learn more about their vision, mission, and values.
- Activate Handshake to learn of events, job/internship postings, and plan to schedule an appointment with a career coach.
Deliverable 1: Research
Purpose: Understand that each career field has different professions associated with it. For instance, if you want to pursue a career in Health Care, you could choose to be a doctor, nurse, hospital administrator, health policy consultant, and much more.
Research at least three professions in your career of interest and answer the following questions.
- What are your three chosen professions? What similar and/or different skill sets did you find among the three professions? (e.g. Critical Thinking, Communication, IT, etc.)
- What are the educational and professional experience requirements for the three occupations? (e.g. licenses/certifications, required years working in the field, degree attained, etc.)
- What FIU organizations, clubs, and/or resources on campus can help you gain experience in any of your three career interests? Explain how these organizations, clubs, and/or resources can help you? *Make sure you use the Student Engagement Resources section in Canvas to help you find opportunities. Remember to answer the questions and follow the rubric. Be sure to carefully review the rubric to receive maximum credit for your submission.
Here are some helpful online resources to include in your submission: